Earthbending is one of the four bending elements of the four nations and is used by the people of the Earth Kingdom. Earthbenders use the earth as their weapon and use their own physical strength to power their attacks. The art was learned long ago by observing badgermoles Earthbend to burrow into mountainsides. The rock that makes up the earth combined with an Earthbender’s own physical abilities give him or her immense power.
Ancient Martial Arts Influences
Earthbending techniques derive from the Hung Gar style of kung fu. Hung Gar kung fu is based on the movements of animals (such as the tiger) and like Earthbending, is known for its strong stances.
|General Level||Master Level||Avatar Level|
|Earth Block||Earth armor||Intense mass earth compression|
|Earth defence wall||Earth limbs magnetizing||Landmass shift|
|Earth launch||Earth tunneling||Rock bullets|
|Earth punch||Earth bomb|
|Levitating stones and rocks||Rock gloves|
|Rock shield||Seismic sense|
- They can strike the ground with their hands and feet which can cause small tremors or earthquakes.
- Earthbenders can magnetize their limbs to stone, allowing them to climb walls or cliffs.
- Seismic sense only detects things that are in contact with the ground, anything above ground is undetectable.
- When not in contact with the earth (if they are in the air) leaves an Earthbender unable to bend.
- Most Earthbenders do not know how to bend refined metals.